• Announcements

• REDivivus.WRAITH

APS NEEDS YOUR HELP FOR 2019!!!   11/05/18

Hello APS'ters It's been more than 10 years APS staff has been keeping this place alive and kickin ass from the rest!!!  And now is the time for us to ask help from all of you who are enjoying this place. APS are looking for generous members who are willing to show some support and love to raise funds for our VPS hosting and domain name fees. We would like to make the most contributions as much as we can and use all of it for " VPS hosting and Domain name fees" ONLY (no personal interest/expenses) We want to keep this community alive and that wouldn't be possible without your help. We won't be promising any VIP access or whatsoever for monetary contributions. But....... we can assure you that your contributions big or small can keep this place alive and We will give you an APS Supporter (yellow pants) to give credits and recognition sa inyong tulong! and that's the only thing we can promise you. If you are feeling generous today feel free to send your contributions to our PAYPAL account. (ANY AMOUNT ARE WELCOME) PAYPAL: allpinoystuff2017@yahoo.com If you have any questions comment on this thread or Feel free to send me or any Admins/Supreme Mods a PM. If you have contributed or will be contributing please let us know so we can directly say "thank you" to you. Thanks in advance and more power to APS!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mangkiko

Collections suggestions

8 posts in this topic

Ano kaya ang magandang collection, ung madali lang i-store kasi hindi spacey ang kwarto ko. 

I know dapat personal ang collections pero,suggestions lang naman.wala akong maisip e.gusto sana magakroon ng trip or maging isang collector ng ano man.

Hard to recommend anything if I don't know where your interests lie. Philately, for example, doesn't take much room I assume but if you're not into it, saving space is a moot point.

2 hours ago, This_Is_The_End said:

Hard to recommend anything if I don't know where your interests lie. Philately, for example, doesn't take much room I assume but if you're not into it, saving space is a moot point.

I agree with you Sir @This_Is_The_End ... collection is an obsession... not just for the sake of doing so. I knew someone who has a collection of bottle caps of every softdrink sold here in our country. I believe she has a 1922 Royal Tru bottle cap which was first sold here. And also someone who collects concert tickets of every foreign artist that performed here.

Collecting something is somewhat connected to your way of life.... it's not a matter of choice or "trip". hehe :D

GoryTonio and This_Is_The_End like this

Completely agree with everything Sir Vinno said. It has to come from something you really are passionate about. Since boss Mangiko has yet to reply, I'll just share what I collected over the years. Hopefully I'll hit on a common interest and jump start his collection. Sorry for the wall of text.

Comics was the first thing I collected when "collection" started to mean something to me. This was back in late elementary/early high school. That's why I'm discounting toys as mostly everyone had that and I wasn't particular with anything, just that I want to have the latest ones. Anyway, back to comics, If I remember correctly my first was either Marvel's Secret Wars or DC's Fury of the Firestorm back in the late 80s. It's one or the other, I've lost both over the years. Collecting comics back then was pretty hard and most of my books was comprised of old stuff from years before that I got from junk or PX shops - I live near one of the US bases way back then - as the more recent ones like the first few issues of X-Men (the Jim Lee/Scott Lobdell era back in the early 90s), I bought from a classmate who's parents were working on said US base (marami sa commissary nila). I rarely travel so Filbars was out of the question although I did bought a few whenever I got the chance like in school field trips. I also collected Pinoy comics as well like Bata Batuta, Terminator, Kick Fighter, Dugo, etc. I still collect comics but in digital format now since storage is a problem.

I got into CCG/TCGs in the late 90s although it's pretty much exclusive to Magic: The Gathering. Before that I was into collecting Marvel cards but getting the legit ones was way difficult than the actual comics themselves. I got into M:TG for the art primarily and for a time I really didn't learn to play, I just collected for the artwork. I think it's the Fifth Edition one that was the newest when I started although I did have a few Ice Age, Fourth Edition, and I think, The Dark from the shop where I first bought my starter pack. Overtime I ventured into Legends of the Five Rings briefly but the lack of actual local players ended that. I eventually learned how to play but man, do I suck. I remember buying InQuest magazines for the decks as well as the price guide since the internet was new at that time and internet cafes were charging ridiculous amount of money for surf time. I grew out of it eventually although my brother still play. He has all the cards that we still have. I play Hearthstone on occasion to get my CCG fix although I still do suck.

Videogames has always been in the background since the Atari days but I never really considered it a collection until the mid-90s when I built my first PC. Before that, uso ang palitan ng mga famicom cartridges. I'll borrow a cartridge for a week from a classmate and hopefully I could finish it before I give it back. Consider that back then, autosave or quick saves are almost unheard of. All you have are codes to either give you the ability to level skip or to give you extra lives. Don't announce that you have a Game Shark, otherwise malamang hindi mo na makikita ulit 'yun. Games during that time were really hard. To this day, I haven't finished the first Castlevania, the first TMNT, Battletoads and even, Punch-Out! Anyway I started my collection with Diablo and StarCraft and it grew from then on. I hit a snag late 00s when most of my physical discs were soaked during a flood. That's when I decided to have everything digital. The CDs that I could salvage, I copied to my HDD. I went legit with my games between 2010 - 2011 when my connection was good enough to download from Steam then the following year, Datablitz opened a local branch - I try to support the developers for games that I truly like with my hard-earned money. I still download pirated ones if I am unsure of the quality since demos are just getting a resurgence recently but for a long while demos were dead. All in all I have around 2000+ games spread across several external HDDs, Steam, Origin, uPlay, and Battlenet. I try not to think how much I have spent on games dahil sumasakit ang batok ko kapag naiisip ko.

I love genre movies especially horror even when I was little. I do love a good sci-fi, fantasy, or an actioner but horror kinda comprises the bulk of my collection. All are in digital format although they are not from a legit source since it does get passed around. Not everyone still has a good connection for streaming so download sa torrent site, store sa external HDD, then pahiram sa mga relatives or kaibigan kapag napanood na. I love movies even when I was a kid. A Nightmare on Elm Street, Phantasm, and Hellraiser scared the crap out of me but I love it. I unfortunately fell out of love sa local movies especially during the 90s when Filipino action movies got ridiculously comical without any self-awareness. I think The Matrix was a turning point for me on how good CG could really get (not to discount Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park, heck, even Independence Day) and also have a good story. The late 90s/early 00s was kind of revelatory for me - The Matrix, Dark City, Blade, X-Men, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Memento and probably some others I'm forgetting. I don't think horror was in good shape at that time but genre movies in general was really revving up. The TV landscape was also doing awesome stuff and for me it started with Twin Peaks and X-Files/Millennium eventually carried the torch to the early aughts. Then Lost happened amidst the sudden boom of cheaply-made reality shows and it ushered genre shows that has been a staple of TV viewing to this day. I'm getting a bit carried away, I have several external HDDs for movies and shows that gets passed around a lot like the town slut.

TL;DR I collected a lot of crap over the years. Most are now in digital format because of space. I'd probably have a lot of money right now and not dead-ass broke if I saved it instead but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yup. It really depends on what you would like to collect, I for example I like to collect the toys from mcdonalds if you guys remember the dalmatians then after that I go to trading cards..but now I'm more like collecting movies in my HD so it won't consume much space in my room the onlly problem is having the space in the HD itself.

This_Is_The_End likes this

A few things that I was really interested to collect at some point but weren't able to were D&D stuff, Gunpla, and Mage Knight. Gundam kits and Mage Knight costs a lot of money especially for a newly college grad and the ever present problem of where would I store all that crap. My brother was into Mage Knight for a time (he's living somewhere else) but it never really clicked with local nerds sa lugar namin so I never really go into it but the models were great, not Warhammer great but still great. The huge Shadowrun ones were glorious though.    

I eventually had two Gundam but by then I was working and I never really had the time to even assemble it. I eventually did but my heart wasn't really into it anymore. A younger me would have felt otherwise.

The problem with D&D was nobody was playing it where I live and getting the rulebooks and supplementary ones were next to impossible. Way back in college, a friend of mine had Die Vecna Die! and I kinda understood it by way of the Black Isle CRPGs (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment) although Die was a second edition book and those games were in 3rd edition. Anyway, we tried "playing" and needless to say it was a disaster. We found out quickly that just having one D&D module (and an advance one at that) and without proper knowledge of the core rules wouldn't work at all. That was the first and last time I dabbled into actual roleplaying. I still want to now and there are a lot ways to play online with other people via Skype or some other platform but time commitments prevent me. D&D or the old World of Darkness would have been a hoot to play.      

I agree with what everyone else has said and if I may add: I know this won't help much but try looking at collectibles that at least have some resale value. It adds to the spice, making sure your collection is kept in mint condition, price checking to see how your collection is doing, participating in online auctions, etc etc. ^_^ This way, even if you lose interest you can always sell your collection. ^_^

I started collecting sneakers in 2007 when I got my first job. Then sold those sneakers and ended up buying dress shoes in 2014. I still buy shoes from time to time, but ended up goes for watches as of late. My next purchase I'm hoping it would be Ibarra watches. I'm not into Rolex or the G-shocks that much. More into the classy and chronograph watches. When money's tight I know I can easily make money off of my collection.