Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ashley Carlos

President Marcos was the Best President of the Philippines?

38 posts in this topic

Ferdinand Marcos is the best president of the Philippines. Sobrang talino niya eh he managed to pass and top the BAR exam while he was inside prison. Ang opposite ni Marcos ay si Cory aquino (puppet ng gobyerno). Tignan mo naman offsprings niya (kris aquino at noynoy). Ayaw ko nalang magsalita. You guys judge lol

Edited by Patrick
Aldus likes this

i remember during cory aquinos last term the entire country was experiencing rotating blackouts 4 hours a day and it was when ramos was president he had to make deals with IPPs thats why our energy rates are so high even today

aldus0714 likes this

I was born during the waning days of the Martial Law so I was quite young back then to really grasp the situation. In my very uninformed and possibly dumb opinion based off anecdotes from my older relatives, history books na maaring paso na ngayon, and mga kuwentong barbero, there's no doubt Marcos was a brilliant man. I would go far as to say in the intelligence department, he will easily steamroll 98% of our watered-down politicians today. But intelligence alone can only take you so far.

Hitler was brilliant as well. His rhetoric was good and he was able to accumulate power in a short amount of time but he was definitely not a good person. You can say Genghis Khan was a great ruler too. His empire expanded so far and wide but during his reign they raped, enslaved, and pillaged. You can say both men are products of their time. Germany was still reeling from their WW I loss and the stability of their economy was in question hence people were more accepting of Hitler's platform. Genghis Khan was from a place were resources were scarce and if his people were to survive they need to take what they need from neighboring countries. Maybe it's hyperbole to compare Marcos to both men but I think he was also a product of his time and while I do not know what his motivations were during the last decade of his rule, I don't think he set out to be a dictator. He was ambitious and he probably foresaw the growing local threat of communism and taking into account that he came from a military background, he probably saw that the only way to quash the opposition is through an aggressive Martial Law. The extension in power was probably the cherry on top.

Base sa mga kwento ng grandmother and mother ko, there were definitely violations of human rights and extra judicial killings back then. It wasn't as proliferate as the media might have you think at least sa lugar namin pero there were definitely hit squads and may ilang pangyayari na mga bigla na lang nawawalang mga tao. The saddest I guess are 'yung mga mistaken identity. Kuwento ng nanay ko sa lugar nila sa kasagsagan ng Martial Law, may 2 magkapatid na tinira but it was a case of mistaken identity because it turns out perehas sila ng build ng katawan nung mga pinaghahanap ng mga CAFGU. The brothers were only in their early twenties and their only mistake was nakipaginuman sila past the curfew.

It's easy to blame it all on Marcos and neither our media nor our history books would say otherwise pero iisang tao lang si Marcos. Gaano man siya katalino, he can't run the country by himself.  Sabihin na nating corrupt siya but then if the people under him united and opposed his rule at the onset of Martial Law, do you think tatagal siya sa kapangyarihan? Marami rin kasing nakinabang sa pamamahala niya which is no different from the cronies of the succeeding presidents. 'Yung isa naging president pa while 'yung isa hanggang ngayon senador. Fidel Ramos held office during the height of Marcos' reign same as Enrile but when these two nakaamoy na pabagsak na si Marcos, biglang baligtad and somehow, people have forgotten this little tidbit about them. Danding Cojuangco was another one as he was very close to the Marcoses but I don't remember seeing him tried at all. Say what you want about Fabian Ver but a coward and a turncoat he isn't. He stuck with the Marcoses until the end. 

I have things sorted out in my head before posting pero medyo mahaba na 'to and probably kung anu-anong nonsense lang naman din. Anyway to sum up, nung bata ako the whole Marcos thing was taught to me in a black-and-white fashion: Marcos = bad; People Power = good because reasons. Parang palabas lang ni Fernando Poe Jr. Tapos na 'yung pelikula, natalo na 'yung kalaban, everything is good in the world again. I don't remember any of my teachers even in college try to go beyond that and somehow I understand them, why complicate things right? The period is much more easily digestible in cartoon form. Pero habang tumatanda ka you realize things aren't that simple. Yes Marcos was undoubtedly a very intelligent and capable person. He was a good leader but so was Mugabe during his early years and probably some of the other worst dictators the world has ever known. If you believe in the Bible, even wise Solomon faltered in the end. I mean our history and legends are dotted with tales of hubris. Marcos' story wasn't a unique one. So I guess the question remains, was he our best president? I hope not because that doesn't give me any confidence for our future generation. Pilosopo aside, siya na ba ang pinakamagaling sa listahan ng mga naging presidente natin? If you take humanity and ethics aside and just look at the machine that is his brain then yes but then you are just looking at one facet of what makes a good leader and you can levy the same criticism sa iba pa nating mga naging presidente. Corazon Aquino, despite her faults, was a good and necessary symbol for our people post Martial Law. Was she a great president? No. She was a housewife pressed into the limelight by people with designs of their own so people can rally against the Marcos regime and take power for themselves. It worked but then what happened after? Even now, if Duterte wins, I wouldn't be surprised because people love the Fernando Poe Jr. trope especially since the current president has the political will of a wet cardboard. To be quite frank Duterte's a misogynistic a**hole but hey if he alleviates the Philippines from poverty and corruption, all good right? And if that's the worst thing about him, then I guess I can live with that. Onions sabi nga ni Shrek. People have layers and some fall from grace harder because they overextend their reach and they live long enough to become the villain to paraphrase a quote from The Dark Knight. Hubris is a nasty b*tch.

I guess l lied when I said I was summing up so was he the best leader our good nation produced? Depends on who you ask. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for the people who lost loved ones (and some na until now are still missing) during the Martial Law. Those that were unscathed of course would have a softer disposition. To those that base their whole opinion sa itinuro sa kanila sa school or what the media tells them, God bless your simple soul. For me, he was a notable president. I have no idea what Quirino or Osmena did but for better or worst, Marcos is a good conversation opener and that's enough for me.

Drake, Rockpen, aldus0714 and 1 other like this

Subjective masyado ang karamihan sa mga Pilipino when it comes to Marcos. He did both good and bad, but he was a good leader. Pero, 'yung transition of power is hindi nya nagawa ng maayos, kaya nagka-gulo. I was not born during those times, pero his regime was much better than Cory's regime, in terms of order and economy. As for Pnoy, he did contribute to the Philippines, but from what I understand is napilitan lang siya maging presidente, dahil sa mga "pagari" nya. Kaya he really did not have the political will to perform what a president should really do.

each president has his/her own good points i guess, though im biased against erap and gloria. history is written by the winners so white washing and mudslinging can't be avoided. one thing we have to give credit to marcos is his infrastructure development. for the longest time the highways, expressways and other infrastructure he put up were used for a long time even after 2 or 3 presidents.

On 9/16/2015 at 11:02 PM, Antonio said:

Pwede pa-share ng thoughts?

My opinion is that Marcos is not the best President the RP had, but He did accomplish several feats. It's hard to compare, because as time changes iba-iba na yung situation, yung parameters para sa comparison ay pa.bago-bago din. Even if Marcos was ressurected today and be the president again, he would have a very difficult time in managing the country today due to complications that the tide of history has brought upon our country. :D

Dugtungan ko lang po, Sir Antonio... All of these complications were caused by Cory and her cohorts. But may I ask, if not Marcos, who's the best president of the Philippines then?

On 10/21/2015 at 9:32 PM, CrimsonChin said:

Marcos is not the best president of the Philippines. Hindi porket hindi natin naexperience yung pagmamarahas ni Marcos e OK na ang lahat. Isipin din natin ang censorship na pinatupad niya nun. Malamang makakapaglaro tayo sa kalsada and all is well and good satin kasi hindi naman nakakaabot satin ang mga nangyayari sa ibang panig ng Pilipinas. At hindi din naman tayo makapagvoice ng dissent in the first place kasi pag against ka lagot ka na. The vision was there but his means did not justify his ends. 

That's not true! Hindi totoong pag nagsalita ka laban kay Marcos lagot ka na. Marami ring rallies and demonstrations noon, na pag umabuso, syempre ide-desperse ng police. Pag may nasaktan, hindi biktima ang tawag dyan tulad nang sinasabi ng mga anti-Marcos. Ang biktima ay yung nakaupo ka lang babarilin ka na lang. yung walang kamalay-malay sa mga nangyayari pero nasasaktan. Pero yung mga nanggugulo na nasaktan, dapat lang sa kanila yun, magugulo sila eh. Hindi kami nakaranas ng pagmamarahas daw ni Marcos, kasi hindi kami lumalabag sa batas o nanggugulo. Tahimik kaming law-abiding citizens. Kung lahat sana ng Pilipino noon law-abiding, wala sanang nasaktan at naging biktima raw. Nadadamay tuloy yung mga nananahimik na nagkataon na malapit sa pinangyarihan ng kaguluhan. So, nung panahon na yun, kung hindi ka maligalig, hindi ka maaano.

According lng sa lolo ko maganda ang panahon ni marcos dahil maraming proyekto ni marcos na naisakatuparan kahit masayadong magastos si imelda pero may napupuntahan ang pera ng tao may nakikitang gnagawa hanggang sa nag declare ng martial law doon nlng daw naging magulo ang sitwasyon pero overall rating ni marcos sa lolo ko 8/10 best president daw kaysa daw sa mga presidente ngayon at since cory to noynoy