• Announcements

• REDivivus.WRAITH

APS NEEDS YOUR HELP FOR 2019!!!   11/05/18

Hello APS'ters It's been more than 10 years APS staff has been keeping this place alive and kickin ass from the rest!!!  And now is the time for us to ask help from all of you who are enjoying this place. APS are looking for generous members who are willing to show some support and love to raise funds for our VPS hosting and domain name fees. We would like to make the most contributions as much as we can and use all of it for " VPS hosting and Domain name fees" ONLY (no personal interest/expenses) We want to keep this community alive and that wouldn't be possible without your help. We won't be promising any VIP access or whatsoever for monetary contributions. But....... we can assure you that your contributions big or small can keep this place alive and We will give you an APS Supporter (yellow pants) to give credits and recognition sa inyong tulong! and that's the only thing we can promise you. If you are feeling generous today feel free to send your contributions to our PAYPAL account. (ANY AMOUNT ARE WELCOME) PAYPAL: allpinoystuff2017@yahoo.com If you have any questions comment on this thread or Feel free to send me or any Admins/Supreme Mods a PM. If you have contributed or will be contributing please let us know so we can directly say "thank you" to you. Thanks in advance and more power to APS!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kretoons

DSLR or Mirrorless?

21 posts in this topic

I would still prefer a DSLR(full frame) May madaling gamitin lalo na sa mga area na low light since hindi na kelangan mag adjust ng photog where as sa mirrorless downside niya to.

depende kung saan mo gagamitin. sony and nikon user here.

if you travel a lot, mas okay yung lightweight matipid pa sa space. mahal nga lang ang lens ng mirrorless. I bought an adaptor na lang so I could use my nikon lens. 

switch to fuji system and very much happy with it. low light? high ISO performance is a killer. Fuji lenses are monsters, sharp and the color rendition is beautiful. Fuji jpgs kills those of dslr jpgs imho, just my two cents. :) 

switch to fuji system and very much happy with it. low light? high ISO performance is a killer. Fuji lenses are monsters, sharp and the color rendition is beautiful. Fuji jpgs kills those of dslr jpgs imho, just my two cents. :)

What's your previous camera and lens before? Professional photographer? I'd chose DSLR anytime. Mainly because, dslr will have a longer battery life. It can reliably focus and track a subject 3-4 stops in low light even on various speeds (depending on the camera used). Has wide variety of lenses to choose from. Image quality depends on the camera and lens used. Not sure though on dynamic range of a mirrorless camera and sensor used, where you can push and pull 2-3 stops and still get a lot of details from your image. How much details are retained in your image when shooting high ISO depends on your camera also.  Looking through an optical viewfinder is a big plus compared to a digital viewfinder, an advantage where you are able to track and compose a fast moving subject and see well on subjects where lighting changes abruptly like on a concert stage. How much buffer a mirrorless camera handles on shooting continuous burst shots. Never trust the exposures on digital viewfinder as lcd degrades overtime. The exposure meter in optical viewfinder is more reliable (imho). Also, this is why you calibrate your monitor as often as possible as LCD and LED degrades overtime.  Weight is never an issue also when you can get your job done in any given situation your client throws on you. The heavier it is the more stable you are on lower shutter speeds.

I've been a Canon user since 2007 and handled a lot of cameras since then. Now I shoot with a Canon 70D and bought a Sony Alpha 6000 last October. Frankly, I really REALLY like the Sony! It's very compact, so I can take it with me anywhere, it looks like one of those point and shoot digital cameras so people won't be as intimidated when you take their pictures (or videos), and to be honest it doesn't really need a lot of accessories to get the most of it. When it first came out I didn't pay attention at all, but last year I felt very limited with my old Canon 60D's ISO capabilities and missing 60fps on 1090p video so I took the plunge, sold my Rebel T3i and got the Sony right away. Like Canon, I'd say it's very user friendly for first impressions. But knowing myself, first thing I'd always do when I get a new technology is playing around with the settings. The EVF on the Sony was a major upgrade for me. I like it 'cause it's very easy to pull accurate focus with manual lenses which I mostly own, thanks to focus peaking. On the Canon, I used focus peaking and magic zoom from Magic Lantern before, and it looks accurate on the camera screen but blurry on my computer. And I couldn't risk having those blurred shots on run and gun type of shoots. Another upgrade that I really liked from the Sony was WiFi. I rarely edit pictures on my computer now. I can send the photos I just took to my smartphone and start editing. And last but certainly not the least, I like the ISO capabilities on the Sony. Before on my 60D or T3i or older cameras I owned, anything past ISO 800 is noisy. 1600 is usable but after post processing you lose details. Whereas on the Sony, I can go up to 10,000 ISO and still be able to use the shot. It's not as clean compared to a shot with a Sony a7S but it certainly beats Canon. Plus the noise kind of looks like a grain so I thought it gives a neat effect on the photos. I kinda wanna sell the 70D and get Sony A7R II but probably not in the near future. I'll enjoy my a6000 for now. If it's in your budget range, I highly recommend it. Plus they're much cheaper now since the a6300 just came out.

Bong Dimayuga likes this

My A7RII is a very capable camera, these are the festures you cant have on DSLR..

-What you see in EVF is what you get, unlike DSLR you cannot do this because of optical viewfinder

-Eye-AF : This is the best feature whenever shooting anything with a face..

-Face Detection: Like on a crowd and you only want your camera to track and follow your subject such as bride or groom

-Silent shooting: Stealth shooting, no one will hear your shutter specially inside a church

dhiesenphi likes this

Sir, sakin naman quick question lang. for beginners like me. ano ba ang diperensya ng mirror less at yung nikon or canon cameras? in layman's term. 

On 5/23/2018 at 5:13 PM, Kanutoo said:

Sir, sakin naman quick question lang. for beginners like me. ano ba ang diperensya ng mirror less at yung nikon or canon cameras? in layman's term. 

DSLR cameras, also known as Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras contain a mirror that allows you to see what you’re shooting through an optical viewfinder. That mirror moves up and down when you take a shot and you get that classic shutter sound. Basically you’re seeing what you’re shooting in the same lighting conditions as your subject (not electronically). 

Mirrorless cameras on the other hand don’t have that mirror. That’s why bodies can become smaller, more compact and lighter. Smaller bodies mean smaller batteries. Smaller batteries mean faster consumption. But since you don’t have a viewfinder, you shoot why you see on-screen. Some models have EVF’s (electronic viewfinders).

*Canon and Nikon have mirrorless cameras too

On 3/23/2016 at 11:44 AM, dhiesenphi said:

I've been a Canon user since 2007 and handled a lot of cameras since then. Now I shoot with a Canon 70D and bought a Sony Alpha 6000 last October. Frankly, I really REALLY like the Sony! It's very compact, so I can take it with me anywhere, it looks like one of those point and shoot digital cameras so people won't be as intimidated when you take their pictures (or videos), and to be honest it doesn't really need a lot of accessories to get the most of it. When it first came out I didn't pay attention at all, but last year I felt very limited with my old Canon 60D's ISO capabilities and missing 60fps on 1090p video so I took the plunge, sold my Rebel T3i and got the Sony right away. Like Canon, I'd say it's very user friendly for first impressions. But knowing myself, first thing I'd always do when I get a new technology is playing around with the settings. The EVF on the Sony was a major upgrade for me. I like it 'cause it's very easy to pull accurate focus with manual lenses which I mostly own, thanks to focus peaking. On the Canon, I used focus peaking and magic zoom from Magic Lantern before, and it looks accurate on the camera screen but blurry on my computer. And I couldn't risk having those blurred shots on run and gun type of shoots. Another upgrade that I really liked from the Sony was WiFi. I rarely edit pictures on my computer now. I can send the photos I just took to my smartphone and start editing. And last but certainly not the least, I like the ISO capabilities on the Sony. Before on my 60D or T3i or older cameras I owned, anything past ISO 800 is noisy. 1600 is usable but after post processing you lose details. Whereas on the Sony, I can go up to 10,000 ISO and still be able to use the shot. It's not as clean compared to a shot with a Sony a7S but it certainly beats Canon. Plus the noise kind of looks like a grain so I thought it gives a neat effect on the photos. I kinda wanna sell the 70D and get Sony A7R II but probably not in the near future. I'll enjoy my a6000 for now. If it's in your budget range, I highly recommend it. Plus they're much cheaper now since the a6300 just came out.

Great discussion. If I will buy now, I will buy a mirrorless.  But I can’t shift with so many EF lenses. So it’s still the 60D and will just try to improve shots.

On 6/3/2018 at 1:06 AM, Bong Dimayuga said:

Great discussion. If I will buy now, I will buy a mirrorless.  But I can’t shift with so many EF lenses. So it’s still the 60D and will just try to improve shots.

You can still use your Canon EF lenses on Sony or any mirrorless cameras. You just need to buy a decent adapter. I bought a Commlite adapter for my Sony so I can still use my Canon glass (Sigma Art 18-35 f1.8 & Canon 100mm f2.8). I've used Metabones and Fotodiox, so far autofocus on Commlite is great, fast too. Just need to retighten the screws from time to time when it becomes loose. Viltrox is good too I heard, but more on the expensive side. Still cheaper than Metabones though.

I still like my Sony a6300, but I would've liked the Canon RF system but I already have invested in Sony lenses and still have a few EF lenses as well. It would be a great B-cam for 5D Mark IV according to specs.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:36 AM, tetutim said:

Depends. If I travel to a new place pagtiyagan yung 5D pag lumang lugar Sony a6000 pero pagtimad G7x.

The 5D Classic (Mark I)? I have that too. It's been my go to camera for photoshoots. It's very old but with the perfect natural lighting, it's still give phenomenal results.

And can't forget, Canon color science. :APS_thumbsup: