• Announcements

• REDivivus.WRAITH

APS NEEDS YOUR HELP FOR 2019!!!   11/05/18

Hello APS'ters It's been more than 10 years APS staff has been keeping this place alive and kickin ass from the rest!!!  And now is the time for us to ask help from all of you who are enjoying this place. APS are looking for generous members who are willing to show some support and love to raise funds for our VPS hosting and domain name fees. We would like to make the most contributions as much as we can and use all of it for " VPS hosting and Domain name fees" ONLY (no personal interest/expenses) We want to keep this community alive and that wouldn't be possible without your help. We won't be promising any VIP access or whatsoever for monetary contributions. But....... we can assure you that your contributions big or small can keep this place alive and We will give you an APS Supporter (yellow pants) to give credits and recognition sa inyong tulong! and that's the only thing we can promise you. If you are feeling generous today feel free to send your contributions to our PAYPAL account. (ANY AMOUNT ARE WELCOME) PAYPAL: allpinoystuff2017@yahoo.com If you have any questions comment on this thread or Feel free to send me or any Admins/Supreme Mods a PM. If you have contributed or will be contributing please let us know so we can directly say "thank you" to you. Thanks in advance and more power to APS!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
This_Is_The_End

Favorite Foreign Female Artists

20 posts in this topic

Solo artist, member ng banda, heck even girl band kung 'yun ang trip ninyo. You know the drill gents. Top 10 and probably your runners up if you want.   

I'll start. These are my current favorites but as with most things, inconsistent ako so it changes a lot. In no particular order:

1. Lana Del Rey - I like that whole Americana thing going on with the way she looks and her sound which is a neat juxtaposition considering her songs often have dark themes. I can see any of her song fitting comfortably in the world of Twin Peaks.

2. Leigh Nash - I have already said this in another thread super crush ko during the late 90s/early aughts. She sounds very much the same way singing live. Even though saglit lang 'yung Six Pence and she devoted the rest of her career to Christian/Faith-based songs (which is kinda hard to find), for me, she really shone for that very brief moment.

3. Janet Jackson - specifically 90s Janet Jackson

4. Alanis Morisette - I bought two CDs of Jagged Little Pill. The first one ang daming scratch marks dahil mainstay siya ng CD ko.

5. Corine Bailey Rae - Super talented. Super underrated.

6. Adele -  Because she's Adele. Female pop singers could learn a thing or two from her. Doesn't need to fit into the traditional perception of beauty. No twerking, no skin-showing. Just the voice.

7. A Fine Frenzy - Really loved Almost Lovers so I sought out her other songs which eventually led me to buy her albums. Awesome artist.

8. Yoko Shimamura - One if not the most prolific female composer of videogame music. Famous for her work Kingdom Hearts work.

9. Lady Gaga - Yep, I'm unabashedly a Little Monster.

10. The Bangles - Can't go wrong with 80s pop. They are far from the best and hindi ganoon ka-profound 'yung mga songs nila but it doesn't always have to. It also helps that Susanna Hoffs is still super hot to this day.

Runners up:

> Lorde - She's weird. I like weird. Weird is good. Gusto ko siyang i-pray over everytime I see her perform baka sinasapian kasi ng masamang espiritu

> Amy Lee (Evanescence) - Powerful voice. She can perform her record songs almost exactly sa live. Plus she's goddamn beautiful.

> Lauryn Hill - A new Lauryn Hill album is way overdue

> Lenka/Sara Bareilles - Ang feeling ko listening to them is parang ang gaan nung araw. Chill lang. Easly like Sunday morning kumbaga :D

> Birdy - If only I know more of her songs as I really love her rendition of Skinny Love.

Vinno B. Rocha and Pips like this

This is a good list, and honestly, this is very hard to narrow down.

So before my top 10, here are my five honorable mentions:

15. Tristan Prettyman

28suX.jpg

I would've included Sara Bareilles for this last spot, but I decided to settle for TP. I encourage you guys who don't know her music to check her out. A combination of California pop with indie rock and folk sound. 

14. Madonna

28sv1.gif

In all honesty, I feel guilty having to place her this low. I guess in cases like this, you can't go wrong. Hehe.

13. Diana Ross

28suK.jpg

That voice. Oh my f*cking god. Enough said. 

12. Sheryl Crow

28suY.jpg

This maybe weird, but I had the hots for Sheryl Crow growing up (her, and another female artist included in my top 10).

11. Astrud Gilberto

28suZ.jpg

Bossa nova will always have a soft spot in my heart, given all the Jobim-Gilberto records that my dad and I bonded on when I was little. Astrud's off-key (she isn't really a signer to begin with) but soulful (she is) delivery makes even the one-note samba tunes worth your while.

For the top 10:

10. Amy Winehouse

28suW.jpg

They say songs work best when written by people experiencing personal turmoil. This is the perfect, modern example. 

9. Laura Nyro

28suQ.jpg

Before all the Sara Bareilles and Corinne Bailey Raes and Lenkas existed, there was this soulful singer. Her sudden retirement from the music scene only solidified her reputation as a captivating voice.

8. Dusty Springfield

28suR.jpg

It seems unlikely that the most country songs from a female artist in the US at the time were sung by an English girl, who recorded in Memphis a collection of songs that would be staple hits in the radio even long after her untimely passing due to cancer.

7. Alanis Morissette

28suU.jpg

Ever imagine how would Carole King sound like, if she grew up in the '90s? Three words: Jagged Little Pill. 

And yes, Alanis and Sheryl were the usual stars of my X-rated dreams. Hahaha.

6. Adele

28suT.jpg

I can't find enough superlatives to describe how soulful Adele is. Evoking Ella Fitzgerald, Roberta Flack, and Nina Simone...and the artist is white? That's gotta be something.

5. Janis Joplin

28suP.jpg

The Pearl. The queen of psychedelia. Untouchable poetry and mysticism rolled into one.

4. Stevie Nicks

28suS.jpg

Had the opportunity to talk to an elderly friend who was able to watch Stevie Nicks perform live (with Fleetwood Mac). "Watching her sing was like hearing incantations from a Wicca leader enticing her listeners to follow suit and join the cult. After the performance, you won't regret joining if it were real."

3. Carole King

28suJ.jpg

Few artists get lucky and release their greatest hits via compilation albums. Carole, on the other hand, released an entire album (Tapestry) with songs worthy of any artist's 'best of' album. Plus, she's one hell of a songwriter, having written songs for Aretha Franklin, James Taylor, Dusty Springfield, and many more. 

2. Aretha Franklin

28suL.jpg

That voice, part 2. Oh my f*cking god. Enough said. 

1. Joni Mitchell

28sv2.jpg

This is end of discussion for me. The lady in the canyon. The woman who spoke for the counterculture generation. My spirit animal. Without her album 'Blue', there'd be no Madonna, Taylor Swift, Lana del Rey, Sheryl Crow, and others. 

Vinno B. Rocha likes this

Here's mine Sir...

10. Susana Espelleta / Birgit Freud (Sisters Of Oz / Gregorian) - the voices behind one of my all-time fave... "Once In A Lifetime".

9. Sarah Brightman - I love listening to her specially "Time to say Goodbye" ... her duet with Andrea Bocelli in 1996.

8. Lauryn Hill (Solo Artist / The Fugees) - nominated for 10 categories in the 99' Grammy's and bringing home 5 Awards... Whew!

7. Mariah Carey - her "Seven-Octaves" voice always left me... how can I describe it? Hmmm... astounded! :D

6. Belinda Carlisle (Solo Artist / The Go-Go's) - mah crush back in the days ... I still listen to her song "I wouldn't be here" on a regular basis... included in my Lullaby Playlist in my I-Pod. hehehe.

5. Gloria Estefan (Solo Artist / Miami Sound Machine) - the Superstar without the "Star" complex. Very down-to-earth. I remembered her singing back-up vocals to Jon Secada in "Just Another Day" giving him a boost to fame.

4. Alanis Morissette - it took me 3 years to get over the addiction of her songs in "Jagged Little Pill" released in 1999. :D

3.Aretha Louise Franklin (Queen of Soul) - Gospel Singer turned ... OMAYGASH!!!

2. Dolores O'Riordan (Lead Vocals The Cranberries) - notable for her lilting mezzo-soprano voice & yodelling.

1. Enya (Solo Artist / Clannad) - anothr mezzo-soprano singer notable for "Only Time" & "May It Be" in the LOTR OST wherein she won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 2001 but my fav was "Boadicea".

Special Mentions... Carole King , Alicia Keys & Amy Lee (Evanescence)

:D

OMG Sir Pips... Astrud Gilberto! Number 1 yung song nya na "A Certain Sadness" sa Standards Playlist ko tapos included din yung "You don't have to say you love me" by Dusty Springfield. Nice selection Sir!  :ok1:  

Inggit ako... may photos! nyahahaha :peace:

Pips likes this

im more into easy listening and good vocals hence my choices. pang relax.

1. ella fitzgerald

2. silje nergaard

3. karen carpenter

4. julie london

5. eva cassidy

6. alison krauss

7. corinne drewery - swing out sister

8. chrysta jones - workshy

9. tracey thorn - everything but the girl

10. jennifer warnes

Pips and Vinno B. Rocha like this

Si Corinne Drewery umiyak yan nung concert nila ng S.O.S, dito sa Pinas... hindi sya makapaniwala na sikat sila dito! hehehe. Yung Workshy may version ng "It's Too Late" ni Carole King ah! Sir @calos may I suggest adding Nana Mouskouri, Sade and Basia on your playlist? I love listening to them when I'm in a downside mood. Nice selection Sir! Salamat po! :D

Edited by Vinno B. Rocha
Pips likes this

im more into easy listening and good vocals hence my choices. pang relax.

1. ella fitzgerald

2. silje nergaard

3. karen carpenter

4. julie london

5. eva cassidy

6. alison krauss

7. corinne drewery - swing out sister

8. chrysta jones - workshy

9. tracey thorn - everything but the girl

10. jennifer warnes

I have the Holy Trinity of female sophisti-pop singers: Corinne Drewery (SoS), Chrysta Jones (Workshy), and Basia Trzetrzelewska (Matt Bianco).

As Vinno noted, if you haven't heard of Basia sing (though I think you know the gal. hehe), give her a listen. Lalo nung Matt Bianco days nya. Pure jazz lounge.

OMG Sir Pips... Astrud Gilberto! Number 1 yung song nya na "A Certain Sadness" sa Standards Playlist ko tapos included din yung "You don't have to say you love me" by Dusty Springfield. Nice selection Sir!  :ok1:  

Inggit ako... may photos! nyahahaha :peace:

I have the complete catalog of Astrud's bossa renditions. Iniyakan ko yang A Certain Sadness because I was trained to play classical guitar and the chords for me back then were just f*cking uncommon. Haha. Good taste! :D

no particular order:

annie lennox

stevie nicks

bjork

patti smith

tina turner

ella fitzgerald

madonna

alicia keys

tracy chapman

erykah badu