Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dhiesenphi

Let's Talk Lenses!

13 posts in this topic

I thought I'd post a fun topic we could all talk about. You can talk about lenses you love, lenses you have or want to have, observations, or any questions you might have regarding any lens. I'll start!

On my Sony a6000, I have:
Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS (kit lens)
Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 (my go-to lens, adapted to e-mount)
Optikam 135mm f/2.8 (m42 lens adapted to Sony's e-mount)
Rokinon 85mm t/1.5 cine lens (EF adapted to e-mount)
Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM (EF adapted to e-mount)
Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (m42 lens adapted to e-mount)

Here's what I want:
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS (L or non-L lens)
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art Lens (I find my 50mm to be too tight as a walkaround lens)

The Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS is a nice lens, but a must have? Not for me, I'll always prefer prime lens over zoom lens any day.

I used to shoot with Canon EOS 60D which explains the EF lenses and m42 lenses on my list. Sold the 60D last November and bought 70D as a replacement.

How 'bout you?

Edited by dhiesenphi

I only have 4 lenses, but it covers 5x macro to 200mm F4..Planning to replace my 70-200mm F4 with G-Master + TC..

I use to be canon/nikon during film days..Now I am on mirrorless Sony A7RII body..

Nanoha 5x macro FE mount

Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM (The best of all zoom I have ever owned)

Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS

Sony FE 70-200mm G F4 OSS

Rockpen likes this

I only have 4 lenses, but it covers 5x macro to 200mm F4..Planning to replace my 70-200mm F4 with G-Master + TC..

I use to be canon/nikon during film days..Now I am on mirrorless Sony A7RII body..

Nanoha 5x macro FE mount

Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM (The best of all zoom I have ever owned)

Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS

Sony FE 70-200mm G F4 OSS

Damn, that's already a great lineup! What don't you like about the 70-200 f4? I actually want that lens.

retret likes this

Fast on an F4 standard, build quality and optics are very good, you can check DXO mark and other reviews, it can even make a good portrait lens. Very light and with OSS, you cant go wrong..

But I was just wondering why do you want to replace it?

Because there is no 2x TC on F4, the new F2.8 will have an extra reach to 400mm @F5.6, plus the pro quality of a GM lens

Because there is no 2x TC on F4, the new F2.8 will have an extra reach to 400mm @F5.6, plus the pro quality of a GM lens

Ohh I see, any idea on pricing?

Im a DOP and i have an a7s2. Most lenses i have are manual samyang/rokinon lenses. Very servicable for HD or 4k.

Very nice, yeah me too. I own a couple of Rokinons Cine Lenses (35mm and 85mm, I want to get the 100mm macro and newer 50mm cine).

The focus is buttery smooth which is perfect for filming but I've also used it on photos and it works just as great. I'm not working on 4K anytime soon, still enjoying the Canon C100, but when I get enough funds, will hopefully take the plunge and get the Sony FS5.

Edited by dhiesenphi

On 4/21/2016 at 9:06 PM, retret said:

the new sigma MC-11 canon to sony E mount adapter will work on some canon lenses..This beats the metabones because the eyeAF will work and it is fast..

I just got the Sigma Art 18-35 f1.8 last week so the MC-11 adapter is definitely next. I ended up getting the Canon mount so I can use it on my C100 as well. Tried it on my Sony with Commlite adapter and autofocus was good too.

Metabones sucked, not usable for autofocus. And if its not compatible with the lens (mostly L lenses) it wouldn't even work with the camera. I'd just get a black screen, and for photo the shutter wouldn't work.

On 3/31/2016 at 9:41 PM, dhiesenphi said:

I thought I'd post a fun topic we could all talk about. You can talk about lenses you love, lenses you have or want to have, observations, or any questions you might have regarding any lens. I'll start!

On my Sony a6000 a6300, I have:
Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS (kit lens)
Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 (my go-to lens, adapted to e-mount)
Optikam 135mm f/2.8 (m42 lens adapted to Sony's e-mount)
Rokinon 85mm t/1.5 cine lens (EF adapted to e-mount)
Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM (EF adapted to e-mount)
Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (m42 lens adapted to e-mount)

Just recently bought the Sony FE 16-70 f4 OSS last July, and the Sony FE 70-200 f4 OSS about a year ago. Perfect for Wedding shoots!

Next on my list is probably a prime, most like Sony 85mm.

Edited by dhiesenphi
REDivivus.WRAITH likes this