noturextraordinaryguy

Animation and 3D Movies

12 posts in this topic

The last years, we have seen the animation industry undergo huge upheavals - from the titanic union of Disney with beloved Pixar, to the rise to international glory of Studio Ghibli and to the massive leap in quality by DreamWorks and other up-and-comers. All these factors combine to provide a mainstream that's friendlier toward a more diverse range of animation styles than ever before!

2bk6E.png

Let's go on a trip from the films that taught us to be brave, made us cry, to follow our dreams and find inner reserves of strength and goodness to face whatever life throw at us! You may include upcoming animations too.

Boneo likes this

By the way NBC Universal bought Dreamworks Animation for some ungodly amount. I don't know what that would mean for the future of the studio and it's upcoming projects.

Big fan of studio Ghibli and have watched most of their films. Recent ones I saw were Tale of Princess Kaguya and The Wind Rises. All-time favorites are Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, and My Neighbor Totoro. If you want to know more about Miyazaki and the studio, there's a recent documentary titled The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. Look it up.

Other animated films that stood out for me: Up, Millennium Actress, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Perfect Blue, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Tokyo Godfathers, Ninja Scroll, Persepolis, Wolf Children, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, the list goes on I guess...

Even growing up I wasn't that much of a Disney fan and anime was still a very niche thing back then so most animated films I have seen are during the late 90s up to present with only a few older titles.

Edited by This_Is_The_End

might be forgotten by some and never been seen by younger people but I'll have to add The Flight of Dragons and The Last Unicorn.

as for anime movies my favorites are porco rosso, the girl who leapt through time, howl's moving castle, ninja scroll, the wind rises and Nausicaa.

I guess Studio Giblets is back from their hiatus. It was a bit scary a few years back when the rumor was that the studio was closing down post-Miyazaki retirement and after wrapping up production on When Marnie Was There.

Red Turtle is not Ghibli "canon" however and this is apparent from the background color in the opening credits. While the Totoro line drawing is present, the background is bright red instead of the usual blue. The movie is a co-production with the Japanese studio handling the art. The film has already been shown at Cannes last May and the reviews have been generally positive (IMDB - 7.8/ Metacritic - 89).

For the 80-minute run of the movie, there's apparently no dialogue at all.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/R6NGMsGJGH4

French poster

2dBw4.jpg

Japanese poster

2dBw3.jpg

Per IMDB, there's no scheduled Philippine theatrical release.

DC animation movies are doing what their live action counter part isn't, and that is making good movies (at least for me and with the exception of the dark knight trilogy although I have yet to see BVS). Some of the DC animation I've really enjoyed are flash point, Batman under the red hood, Batman beyond: the return of joker.

This_Is_The_End likes this

That is a good movie. There were some turns in the story I did not expect and was positively surprised. I thought this would be a cookie-cutter feel good film. It's from the same people that made Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children so you kinda know what you are in for. Animation's really fluid, vibrant, and emotive.

Edited by This_Is_The_End