Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rockpen

APS Arts and Stuffs

91 posts in this topic

Sorry pero vector paintings/art are new to me since im used to old school painting... Anyway mind checking this art if this is the vector art you guys are taking about?

2c2Av.jpg

Made some research and I just found out that :

Vector Art is a technique, not a style.

Perhaps a better term would be "vector-based art," meaning art created in a vector-based program. Vector art consists of creating paths and points in a program such as Illustrator or Freehand. The program keeps track of the relationships between these points and paths. Vectors are any scaleable objects that keeps their proportions and quality when sized up or down. They're defined as solid objects, and can be moved around in full, or grouped together with other objects. Vectors can be defined by mathematical and numeric data. So vector art is anything that's created in Illustrator, Freehand, Corel Draw, Flash or other "vector" illustration programs.

(Vector programs: Illustrator, Freehand, Corel Draw, Flash, etc.)

The other side of the coin is raster art. Raster art consists of pixel information, where every pixel is assigned a RGB or CMYK value. This can create smoother and more detailed images for photos and paintings, but if the image is scaled, the program has to create new information resulting in that distorted look.

(Raster programs: Photoshop, Painter, Fireworks, MS Paint, Gimp, etc.)

Source : Voodoart

Oh and by the way the art posted above is created by one of my favorite artist at DA :) All his art are of the same style and touch.

Edited by Patrick
repapips9 likes this

Beyond the textbook definition, you can see the difference especially when you zoom in. Vector retains it's crispness that is lost in raster because those are made of pixels. That's why Red said it's terrible to fake vector art in PS as it doesn't hold up really well in close scrutiny unless you use Illustrator or the Pen tool in Photoshop as both create paths instead. Even then the Pen tool in PS is creating Vexels as PS is a pixel-based program but for all intents and purposes, that can be overlooked in normal situations.

Vector is preferred when you are creating logos and such because you can resize it and it will retain it's clarity.

Rockpen likes this

Wait, sorry, I didn't saw the part about you asking if that is a vector. Selective reading and all. I should have paid attention.

For the image, I' m not sure man. There are great artists out there that can do awesome things in Corel, PS, Illustrator, or even Paint that it would be hard to trace how they did it.

Even if it was created in a vector application but he saved it in a raster format like, say, .png or .jpg it would still be pixelated.

Yeah that's my problem with Illustrator as well although I would really love to learn the application I just can't get the impetus to start. Although if you want art and design to be your livelihood, you kinda need to.

Hahah alam mo naman na hobby lang ang akin haha pang alis ng stress ;) may ginawa ako bro haha tatawanan mo lols I don't even know kung worth posting hahahaha anyway thanks man :))

@this is the end: actually bro I wasnt sure what I was doing.. So I was really expecting a negative critique from you.. One thing I noticed while using this style or technique.. Ummmm you must learn to embrace it.. Hindi na kasi umoobra yung style na gamit ko sa traditional way. Although makikita parin sa finish product na parang traditional way parin approach ko. I think several attempts I will get the hang of it. Pero enjoy kasi lumalabas talaga creativity ko... As you can see wala na direction ang color blending ko kaya puro light colors na ginamit ko para safe. Hehe thanks bro for that wonderful critique. Also, yung vector kaya Pala familiar sa akin. Ito rin gamit nila sa GTA 5 cover diba?

Edited by Patrick

I'm not sure if the GTA V artwork were vector-based. I don't know man it's hard to tell unless we get our hands on the original files. I searched a bit to know who did the artwork but as far as I can tell it was done internally. I was hoping it was a third party studio doing the artwork as it might be easier to search like some of the Capcom materials are done by UDON and most of their artists have a DA account and some of them do list what program they use on their pages. Alas, I can't do the same for GTA V. Anyway, if I am a betting man, I would say it's still done in Photoshop as the tools there are easier for freehand illustration. Again, I'm not sure just a hunch. For all we know, the artist(s) could have used SAI or Corel Painter or the other dozen programs if they don't use Adobe products.

Rockpen likes this

One more thing Pala bro. Yung adobe illustrator where I created the vector art standard ba talaga yung 3k by 3k resolution siya? Kaya nga ginagawa ko crop ko yung file para mag fit sa 1k resolution size... Pero tama ka nga kasi na convert sila to png or jpeg.. Nawawala na ba nun yung quality?

One more thing Pala bro. Yung adobe illustrator where I created the vector art standard ba talaga yung 3k by 3k resolution siya? Kaya nga ginagawa ko crop ko yung file para mag fit sa 1k resolution size... Pero tama ka nga kasi na convert sila to png or jpeg.. Nawawala na ba nun yung quality?

There's compression done in JPEG so there's some loss in quality. There are visible artifacts with JPEG depending on how much compression was done (to save on file size). Although JPEG is a good compromise between quality and size for regular use. That's probably one of the reasons it's widely used sa mga websites.

2c65C.jpg

2c65D.jpg

2c65E.jpg

I do not have a thorough knowledge of image compression or what the multiple file formats do to an image so anybody out there na more knowledgeable, feel free to butt in.

In my very limited experience, if I was tasked to do something in Illustrator (I usually BS my way with Illustrator as I have a very basic knowledge with the program. Google is my friend :D) they want the file in either PDF or native AI format.

Rockpen likes this

Her name is angel. She is a unique photographer because her model is herself. She posts her nudes over her DA account and it is really a treat whenever I see her artistic body shots. Her babe parts is a work of art. It gives excitement while appreciating art. Some of her shots.

2cja5.jpg

2cja6.jpg

2cja7.jpg

2cja8.jpg

2cja9.jpg

2cjaa.jpg

2cjab.jpg

2cjac.jpg

2cjad.jpg

Check her DA account and you will see what I mean. Deviant girl indeed!

I completely redid one of my old work sa DA because I'm not happy looking at it now.

The costume is from the first Batman Arkham Asylum game that came out last 2009 and I colored it with a cel-shaded style in mind which you often see done sa mga anime.

Done in PS CS6

2cMuk.jpg

Rockpen and dreads21 like this

Nasa DA account ko siya dude. It won't show up sa notification mo dahil edit siya ng past submission ko. You can just search my gallery for Batman Arkham Asylum - Batman

Weird, I used the preview option for desktop and mobile before submitting the post and it looked fine. Funkyimg might not be playing nice with the new board.

Rockpen likes this

Just wanted to share one of the artist I admire over the years. Primarily because of his God-like hands! Name is Marcello Barengh, best known for his 3D arts and you might have seen some of his videos over Facebook. :th_smart:

GCrywA76.jpg

On69evvv.jpg

ExVJHeLV.jpg

eo2i0Zqx.jpg

t9zz8RZd.jpg

PmjSwyhW.jpg

And my favorites are his Marvel inspired ones (nope, not a picture but a drawing):

9qm4zosN.jpg

zoSLG6oW.jpg

46pvNSni.jpg

Ll4yfkwC.jpg

Credits goes to the original owner. :)