Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pepep perfecto

Music Genre

10 posts in this topic

Categorically speaking ... Pop isn't a genre. Under the Pop Category lies different Genres like RnB. Ballads, Alternative, Rock, Jazz etc. Pop stands for Popular Music. Parang recently added lang sa playlist mo. Oftentimes mga upbeat / dance tunes yung nilalagyan ng pop sa genre. After a while you will be opted to put Pop songs in their proper Genres.

Billie Jean by Michael Jackson was a Pop song ... will you include this in your Pop Playlist? I don't think so. Hehehe. :D

OPM was also a category in my Playlist. Under it lies different Genres like OPM Dance, OPM Ballads, OPM Standards etc.

I don't have a Pop Category in my playlist ... meron ako recently added.

:D

Yun nga kinalilito ko eh

Pano ko masasabing Ballad ang isang kanta or OPM

kasi sabi kasi nila sakin pang Ballad ang Voice mo tsaka mas cool sayo ang OPM kesa sa mga Alternative Rock.

Oh ... no point of comparison mate.

Ballad was a genre of international standards while OPM was a category for our local type of music. Kaya nga "Original Pilipino Music" di ba? Basta released locally ... OPM yun.

Ballads were standard slow songs. To love you more by Celine Dion was a very good example. It don't belong to any other genre. Oftentimes these were called "Love Songs" because of their slow nature ... usually from 60 BPM and lower. :D

dhiesenphi likes this

Honestly, I feel like OPM is a genre of its own, kind of like how everyone sees Pop music. Because that's how I understood everything growing up.

But now, I feel most mainstream music from OPM artists are under the categories Balad, Alternative, Soul, Blues perhaps? Not a lot of R&Bs though.

Simply put... "Genre" per se was characterized by similarities in form, style and subject matter. I repeat... Under OPM lies the the different genres like Tunog Kalye, Pinoy Rock, RnB, Ballad and other forms that Filipino Artists made.